Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bruins Trade Alberts to Flyers


I apologize, I was so busy stuffing my face with turkey and ogling women that I completely missed this trade. I am sure some of you will miss Alberts but he is expendable and he releases more cap space (1.25 million). I expect Matt Hunwick to be called up, but Sobotka could also be in the mix. I personally see no benefit in calling up Sobotka though, as we have too many forwards and one defenceman short. In return for sending Alberts to Philly the Bruins receive some boob (Ned Lukacevic) and a 4th round pick (if Alberts resigns this becomes a 3rd round pick). I doubt Ned will ever be an impact player with the B's and possibly not in Providence either. This is a salary dump pure and simple and it let's us look at more young talent.

Good move Chia...

Side note; Kobasew will be on the shelf for up to 3 weeks with his fractured right ankle. Be nice to see him back in the next couple weeks but I'd prefer they don't rush him since it is early.
UPDATE:
Sobotka and Hunwick have both been recalled from Providence for tomorrow's game. With this move we are now around $750,000 under the cap. Sabotka will most likely only be around for the duration of the Kobasew injury. It was decided that Kobasew will not go on long term injury reserve therefore all his salary counts against the cap.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger number4bobbyorr said...

I think this move stinks. First, everyone seems to have forgotten how Alberts (and the Bruins?) play. He got injured because he was willing to pay the price with his body by playing hard physically. That used to mean something for this team. Second, they didn't get diddly squat for him. What's up with that? He's a good solid defenseman. They should have gotten something in return and the fact that they didn't doesn't speak well for management, unless there is something going on (drug use?) that we don't know about.

Two games into the season and I'm already tired of watching Stuart get beat to the outside... at least Alberts could take them to the wall hard.

10:29 a.m., October 14, 2008  
Blogger TreeBob said...

Great to get your opinion number4. I still stand by the fact that it's a good move. Hard nosed or not, he's been making mistakes and his price tag combined with his play, contract status, and available youth made him expendable. Nothing wrong with getting a 4th rounder (possible 3rd) and a prospect for a defenceman of his caliber. Sorry but he isn't that good. Free agent year players never have much value on the trade front and we actually got more then we should have in my opinion. With this move we are over 2 million under the cap which is always a good thing come the end of the year.

11:31 a.m., October 14, 2008  
Blogger TreeBob said...

Sorry should not have said never. Lower depth players rarely have value.

11:34 a.m., October 14, 2008  
Blogger number4bobbyorr said...

What I'm more concerned about is how the team has been playing so far combined with what Alberts has said:

"Hopefully I can get back to the way I played the first couple of years and be more physical."

Where is the hitting? Where are the fights?

Is this the birth of the "little sad Bruins?"

I know I'm sounding the alarm on this a bit early and by next week it may be moot. But still... so far this is not the team I expected.

2:49 p.m., October 14, 2008  
Blogger TreeBob said...

You are correct we aren't fighting much so far. I wouldn't put much stock in it though. Without Reich in the lineup that only leaves Thornton. Other than him nobody else would fight unless given a reason to. This happened in the preseason with Ference but there haven't been any incidents since. Thornton tried to fight Derek Boogaard (Min) but he wouldn't go with him. I can't easily compare hit counts but I can say that we have 33 hits in 2 games.

3:19 p.m., October 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top Hockey Related Websites