Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Bruins @ Senators

Well I am going to try some live blogging from Scotiabank Place tonight. It is possible I will give up part way through though. If so I will prepare a full update later. I am on the way to the game now so more later.

Stay tuned!

EDIT ****

So my 1st live blogging session failed. I was informed later by Doobie that I could actually use email to send in a post to Blogger. I am going to have to figure that out because it would have made it much easier. Full game report tomorrow morning. It was an AWSOME GAME!

Period 1
We started out the game in the 300 level in front but we spied some other seats owned by the guy so we moved down to the 200's. I had a perfect view directly beside Timmy!

Whenever Chara touched the puck the crowd booed loud. I think it is sad that they booed their once star player. Chara is still active in the community and didn't deserve the treatment he got last night. The period was back and forth for the first half and then the Bruins began to dominate with two quick goals scored by Sturm and Murray with around ten minutes to go. The usual phantom and missed called dominated the period and I found I was holding my breath constantly as the Bruins chased the opposing players. Near the end of the period a hooking call was made on Denis Hamel and Bergy made a sweet play to Savard scoring on the empty net.

Period 2
It seemed as the Senators defence was in disarray for most of the game, and it peaked in the second period on. Offensively, Ottawa was generating a lot of chances but Thomas was on form all game making a lot of brilliant saves. At the half way mark of the second, McGrattan took a run at Primeau (I think) and a scrum ensued. The refs and linesmen were very quick to jump on all the players involved and nothing much came from it. McGrattan and Primeau wanted to go bad! A ref pulled McGrattan away but Primeau got loose and charged for McGrattan . Unfortunately another linesman grabbed him and that was it. In the end McGrattan got the extra penalty and Boston was on the PP.

Sturm wasted little time scoring his second goal on another beautiful play by Bergeron. Five minutes later Sturm came down the wing and shot a lazer past Gerber getting his first hat trick of the season. The only blip for the Bruins came with less than a minute to go, when the Bruins were on their heels. With five seconds left in the period, Christoph Schubert shot a bullet over Thomas's left shoulder making it 5-1 after two periods.

Period 3
The beginning of the third was back and forth until a penalty was called on Neil and then a minute later on Volchenkov, giving the Bruins a 5 on 3. Savard took the opportunity scoring with just over 10 seconds left on the first minor penalty. After the Bruins scored the goal making it 6-1 a large portion of the Ottawa crowd left for the parking lot. Vermette scored on a puck that trickled through Thomas's legs, and he flew over Thomas to get to it. Just to add salt in the wound of the Ottawa "faithful" Paul "freakin" Mara scored his first goal of the year!! late in the third.

Great game by the Bruins. The defence played all right. I would have liked to see them let less shots get to Thomas, but Timmy was on fire all night.

My 3 stars were:

1) Marco Sturm
2) Tim Thomas
3) Marc Savard

An honourable mention goes to Bergeron with his 5 assists and Primeau with his intensity.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger neb said...

well i knew we were due for a blow out i just called it a game early...

9:54 p.m., December 19, 2006  
Blogger jimbuff said...

Mara scores. Well deserved - he actually played good tonite!

10:13 p.m., December 19, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

I was doing a live update and when I uploaded the first period summary it didn't appear. Damn Blackberry!

11:53 p.m., December 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great game all around - strong play in every zone, lots of tape-to-tape passing, no 3rd period nappy-time. Just a matter of time before they finally vacate the basement apartment in the Adams division and make their run.

Happy Holidays to all.

10:51 a.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

Holy crap, is this Gary???

If so, how have ya been? Nice of you to finally comment.

11:20 a.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger jimbuff said...

- Hey Jacobs is that really you?
Stop by and comment anytime.
This site was actually started by us meeting on your mvp site last season.
- What is this Adams division you speak of :)

11:41 a.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger Jocelynn said...

That game made the very expensive Center Ice worth it! And I actually got to see the whole thing. Not sure which was more entertaining: Sturm's hat trick or Primeau's temper.

12:47 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger jimbuff said...

Treebob:
It is sad that Ottawa fans boo Chara - if anyone should be booing him it should be Boston fans. That said he did play decent last nite - not great but no real mistakes either.

12:51 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

Joc - Definetly Primeau.

Buff - He seemed to be holding back a little. I think he really wanted the fans to like him. =

2:13 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary indeed, in the flesh. I've been lurking for a while; thought I'd finally say hello. Sorry I've been away so long.

I won't go so far as to say that I once again am in favor of "The Trade" - lest the faithful once again pile on - but jeez, you have to look at Sturm and Primeau and thank the hockey gods that they're on our team. Primeau is a great add to the team, with the defensive sensibilities of Dave Poulin or PJ, and the brawn and temper of Cam. It's a heady combination. And Sturm certainly looks like he's over his mini-schneid. And to think that Stuart was the marquis player in the trade at the time!

4:31 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

I can't believe you have been lurking so long without talking!

I am still happy about the trade (although we could have gotten some draft picks to go along with it), but I guess that's more because Thornton needed to go.

I think Sturm and Primeau have been having an off year, but I was very impressed with them last year.

So does this mean you are going to join us on the blog? :)

Te option of having you do random post is still available if you are interested.

5:40 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

Buff, further to my comment about Chara there was a story that number4bobbyorr commented on. So it was as suspected.

"He was nervous," Thomas said of Chara. "He wanted to have a good homecoming and not be embarrassed. I can't speak for the rest of the guys, but it was important for me to help him out."

The rest of the story is here
http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news/DetailNewsCP.asp?xml=h122008A

6:30 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger number4bobbyorr said...

The quote I found where Thomas speaks of Chara wasn't meant to denigrate Chara. I think Chara is the very foundation of the Bruins--why on earth would I boo him? No way! No more than I would Orr, Park or Borque... they all made mistakes from time to time too. But forcusing on a mistake here and there--even one that leads to a goal--is rather missing the point, in my opinion.

The reason I posted that quote is because I suspected that the B's played so well as a team because they did it for *him*. And that appears to be true, at least for Thomas. I don't think anyone could possibly come up with geater praise for Chara than that! This is the leadership that we mssed so much in the Thornton era. And the more this team comes together like this the more I remember why I love hockey so much!

9:45 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger Doobie said...

Hah! Figures Jake shows up when Sturm and Primeau finally have a good game. LOL

Just kidding Jake, good to have you here. If not for you, GotG wouldn't exist.

Hey Tree, I hear Savard took an elbow to the head courtesy of Patrick Eaves late in the game. You catch that at all? I think that was the game misconduct he received.

9:49 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger jimbuff said...

treebob: You also get to see the Bruins play the Canucks on cable tomorrow nite - they are on The SPac (sportsnet Pacific. I assume you get all the sportsnets on your basic cable. That is unless Tree has control of the TV and you have to watch "The Girls from Gilmour" or "ER".
You must be leaving soon to travel to Nouvelle-Ecosse. When do you leave La Belle Province?

10:02 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

hey Orr, I agree with you. Earlier in this comment section buff asked me about his play. I was at the game and I noticed he wasn't playing like his normal self. Not bad, just not as aggressive. I theorized that he might have not wanted to stand out and look bad in front of his old fans.

Then I went to Bruinsrumors and saw your comment about the story. I posted that here because it made my earlier comment plausible.

I never thought you would boo him dude :)

The fans in Ottawa are just assholes that's all.

10:31 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

Doobie, yes I caught it. It was at the other end of the ice though so I could not see it up close. He was only down for a minute and then he got up. Most of the Bruins went after Eaves right away.

10:33 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

No Pacific games for me. You can only get all the Sportsnet channels if you are on Digital cable.

10:34 p.m., December 20, 2006  
Blogger neb said...

19th comment...could this be a new ghosts record!

5:41 p.m., December 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top Hockey Related Websites