Monday, November 13, 2006

Merchandise Monday III

For my 3rd installment of "Merchandise Monday" I decided to go with this practice jersey from the 1986-1987 season.
I was in my first year university and I met someone from Boston (biggest Sox fan ever) who went back for spring break in February 1987. While he was there he took in a Bruins practice and ended up getting all 26 jerseys somehow (by somehow I mean I am unable to use his name). He returned to school after the break and knowing how big a fan I was he offered me the whole set for $1000.00 but being a student myself at that time I couldn't afford this amount.
I asked him what one of the jerseys would cost me and he settled for the Labrador Flag that I had in my dorm room (I am from Labrador so getting another one would be no problem). Next I had to choose what jersey I wanted - Bourque, Neeley, Simmer and other big names were all there. In the end, however, I decided to take Michael Thelven. There were two reasons I made such a strange choice: First there were no names on the back (just numbers) and my favorite player as a kid was Brad Park who wore #22, the same as Thelven and I always got this number whenever I picked up Boston shirts or jerseys. Secondly, I chose this jersey because he was not as popular as other Bruins at the time and I thought it would be more unique to get his. How many people do you know that have a Michael Thelven worn jersey?
Check back again next Monday when I unveil yet another piece of my Bruins collection.

Go Bruins !!!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Doobie said...

Hah! Michael Thelven! That might be just as bad...or worse...than my childhood obsession with Bobby Schmautz!

It could be worse...if he was around in a more merchandise-savvy era, how many of us would have been saddled with unworn Gord Kluzak jerseys?

1:24 p.m., November 14, 2006  
Blogger jimbuff said...

I was a big fan of Schmautz also. I remember as a kid when someone (can't remember who) on The Nordiques dropped the gloves on him and Schmautzy carved up his face with his hockey stick. When asked about it after the game he said that he wasn't a fighter and considered his stick "The Equalizer" and would take a suspension for what he did over getting beat up.
I knew it was classless but I admired his honesty about it afterwards. I don't recall seeing anyone in the league trying to fight him after that incident.
And about Kluzak - I had a pet rabbit in highscool (that sounds so gay now) that I named Gordy after him.

1:41 p.m., November 14, 2006  
Blogger neb said...

i believe its gayer (is that a word) that you named him gordy, but thats just me. what happened to the little guy, did you have to blow out his knee?

3:15 p.m., November 14, 2006  
Blogger jimbuff said...

We had the little guy for about 10 years (long for a rabbit). It was actually my sister's and she named him Thumper but I started calling him Gordy after Kluzak and shortly after everyone called him that including my sis.

7:32 a.m., November 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top Hockey Related Websites