Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Bruins make BIG mistake


Yesterday The Boston Bruins named "The Big Z" (Zdeno Chara) their 18th team captain.
Before I start I would like to put on the record that I do not hate Chara and I do think that he will help improve the team. His hockey skills are decent and his work ethic is amazing.
That said I am not happy (read "pissed") that he was named the captain of the team I love and live for.
I will list just a few of the many reasons why I think that The Bruins have made a mistake:
- First off I do not agree with a new player just coming to a team being named captain before he even plays a single regular season game. I consider this a slap in the face to veteran team players that poured out their heart and soul for years only to be looked over. Trust me, no mater what is said to the media, these players also consider it an insult.
- Secondly, players are already uneasy with him because of the big contract the Bruins gave him. He, in my opinion, is the most overpaid player in the league. Like I said earlier he is good and he will help the team - but he is not seven million (American) good. Hell, he is not even seven million good in Canadain dollars. He looked good last year in Ottawa because he played on a team that always had the puck - does anyone really think The Bruins are always going to be in control of the play (we still have a ways to go yet before we are that good). Even in Ottawa players on his own teamed had him nicknamed "Bobbles" which was short for "Bobbles at the Blueline" (I will be nicknaming him "Hal II" until he can prove me wrong). If he had no respect on the Sens. how do you expect Bruins players to immediately respect him?
- Thirdly, just based on talent, I can name off the top of my head 10 Bruins players that have alot more hockey skill than him but make less money ( Bergeron, Sturm, Boyes, Savard, Murray, Kessel, Mara, Thomas, Torkelson and P.J.).
This is just my opinion but I think all the great off-season moves The Bruins pulled are for naught as they are starting the season with the wrong Captain and even if no one will say it ; with a divided dressing room. I have a few more thoughts about this captain situation that I will share in a later blog - just wanted to get my opinion, of this farce, out there quickly so that you all know the truth.
Let me know your thoughts. I am sure some people don't agree (not everyone is a hockey genius). Tell me your reasons for agreeing or disagreeing with my opinion. Try and keep it hockey related; saying I am wrong because I am an asshole does not count as a legitimate arguement.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Doobie said...

Yeah, but whether or not someone who's skated for a team yet may not be a fair indicator of whther they deserve to be captain or not. The Rangers named Mark Messier their team captain when they signed him in '91 and he helped them win a Stanley Cup just a few years later. Granted, Messier's pedigree is a little more refined than Chara's but it shows that making the new guy the captain has worked in the past.

I think what's being overlooked here is something of an even bigger concern...there appears to be a vacuum of leadership on the team. The Bruins wanted so badly for Thornton to be that person, but he couldn't shoulder the load and was shipped out of town when his play suffered. It's not so much that Murray and Axelsson were overlooked as choices for captain, but it's more of the question of *why* they were overlooked. Management must not have felt that their presence was deserving of the C and that Chara, as new as he is, has these intangibles.

I think you're being a little too hard on Chara. Not sure of the "Bobbles" nickname, but Chara's a great D because he's a defensive monster...not because he's an offensive guru. He's not going to be Orr or Bourque with the puck, but he is one of the best defense-minded defensemen in the game.

If there's any reason for concern, it's that he might be *too* monstrous. He finished fourth in the Norris Trophy balloting last year after being a finalist before the lockout. You just have to hope that the faster game hasn't affected his play. Still, being voted the *fourth* best defenseman in the league isn't really anything to be concerned about...

5:32 p.m., October 04, 2006  
Blogger jimbuff said...

First, Messier was in my mind when I made the comment. As great a leader he was I still thought of it an insult to other Rangers at the time and I am not a Ranger fan.
Management named him and not others - remember the person that named him is not a long time Bruin but also came from Ottawa this year.
Bobbles is not a name I made up but rather what players on the Sens. actually referred to him as.
Finally people who pick the NHL awards do it on drugs or something - look at some of the winners and nominees over the years. And you can't seriously think that he is the 4th best "D-Man" in the league, can you????
A lso like I said he is decent and will help the team - just that there is no way in hell he should be captain and I think the naming of him will hurt our team.

6:30 p.m., October 04, 2006  
Blogger Doobie said...

Well, now that he's a Bruin I think he's the best damn defenseman in the league. LOL

But seriously, whoever in the industry does the voting for the Norris Trophy felt that he was one of the four best defensemen in the league, and I'm certainly not going to argue it.

7:11 p.m., October 04, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

You're an asshole!

Just kidding :)

Regarding the "slap" in the face to the other players, it is possible some of the players feel this way but I really doubt many do. He is definetly captain material, and while I think Bergeron may be as well, he just not ready by a long shot!

Murray, I am sorry he may be from my old stomping grounds but he ain't no captain. He has never, from what I have seen, shown much leadership and after loosing his set-up man last year he went into the dressing room and never really came out. I really hope he and Savard jell so he can get excited about the game again.

Like I said in my post, I really hoped Axelsson would be chosen as an alternate. No one deserves it more than him. He has never compalained, and has filled any role given to him.

Where did you hear that "players are already uneasy with him because of the big contract the Bruins gave him". WTF...

and where did you get this from:
"Even in Ottawa players on his own teamed had him nicknamed "Bobbles" which was short for "Bobbles at the Blueline"

Have you got someone inside the dressing room that I didn't know about? I don't believe there is a single player (on the Bruins) that has "ever" said a word about his contract.

You are probably right though many of the people in your list have more "natural" talent then him, but not many have the drive and determination he has. Besides, you should be comparing him to the other defencemen on the team not forwards.


I love arguing about hockey :) Keep the posts coming Jim!

11:55 p.m., October 04, 2006  
Blogger jimbuff said...

Treebob,
About the Bruins being uneasy and upset, this is my opinion of how I am sure some of them must feel.
"Bobbles" is inside info. from a former team mate of Z's. It was a joke they had referring to him when he was not around - he was not the most popular player in Ottawa - feeling in dressing room was relief when the Sens. opted for Redden over "Z" even though media had "Z" as the better player.
Regardless of if I think he should be captain or not I DO think he will help our team and he is a decent player. I just don't want him captain and I think he is overpaid. But from what I hear he is one of the hardest working players in the league during the off-season. Hopefully this attitude will be contagous.
I repeat that just because I don't want him captain does not mean I am not glad he is a Bruin. He was a great pick-up and will help the team.

8:06 a.m., October 05, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

Again, I think he is overpaid as well.

So when is Doob going to post his thoughts? He promised a post!

I need fresh meat.

1:59 p.m., October 05, 2006  
Blogger Doobie said...

I did? I just blew my load commenting on each of your posts!

4:51 p.m., October 05, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

bah! :)

5:46 p.m., October 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top Hockey Related Websites