Thursday, October 26, 2006

Regrets. I've had a few...

So here I am, in a Courtyard by Marriott out in Danvers, Massachusetts because of an aborted vacation. Aborted on our own will because New Hampshire was, well...closed. The state wasn't technically closed, but virtually every establishment in Lincoln (and the surrounding White Mountain region) closed shop in early October, leaving us twiddling our thumbs since Sunday. Since we were heading to Kittery, Maine, on a side trip we decided to not bother making the 2.5 hour trip back only to have to retrace our steps to go home. Instead, we're shacking up outside of Salem, Mass with the intent of doing some sightseeing tomorrow and then heading back home to NJ afterwards.

My aborted vacation is my first regret. My second regret is what I'm finding here 30 minutes outside of Boston...or, more technically, what I'm NOT finding. Back in the early nineties, before everything could be purchased on the internet, I used to stock up on Bruins clothes when I made my occasional trip up here. I hit one major mall here in Danvers and had difficulty finding ANYTHING with a Bruins logo on it. Most places were stocked with Patriots and Red Sox gear. Only two stores had any Bruins merchandise and it was slim pickings at that. I know that the Pats and BoSox have at least won in this decade, plus I'm sure there are still ramifications from the strike, but still. Very disappointing.

Lastly, I can't believe I'm this close to Boston and am going to miss a Bruins game. Against the CANADIENS at that and for the homecoming of Samsonov (who, by the way, has been demoted to the 4th line). If only the timing was a little better and I didn't have a toddler in tow, I'd be there.

Dammit.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger jimbuff said...

Doobie,
Your looking for Bruins merchandise has inspired me to start a weekly posting on this site. I have some Bruins items that are either amazing, unique or have a cool story about them. I will feature one of these a week in a post I will call "Merchandise Monday".
Stay tuned next Monday for the first post.

Jim

12:45 p.m., October 26, 2006  
Blogger Doobie said...

Yay, I'm "inspiring"! One thing I forgot to touch on regarding some of the merchandise i used to be able to purchase in the Boston area in the early nineties. I remember once seeing a "Rosie" Ruzicka t-shirt on the racks of a local shop. Now that's dedication!

10:01 p.m., October 26, 2006  
Blogger TreeBob said...

Was Markov left standing beside the net for an hour or what? Holy shit that was pathetic!

So maybe the reason there was no Bruins gear is due the fact that they are extremely popular and all of it was just sold out.

10:12 p.m., October 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top Hockey Related Websites